Female sexual pain
The course will have at least 50% of the content underpinned by research to support the terminology, assessment protocols and treatment options. The focus of the course is to enable the participants to understand common types of female sexual pain. In order to do identify common types of female sexual pain definitions will be summarised.
There will be a focus on safe external and internal assessment (vaginal and rectal examination experience essential) which will require active participation from the course attendees.
- Understand female pelvic anatomy and pain concepts specific to female sexual pain with application of the pelvic anatomy concepts in the internal and external assessment practical sessions
- Understand the concept of the female sexual response
- Identify common sexual pain conditions – such as genito-pelvic pain penetration disorder (vaginismus and dyspareunia), overactive pelvic floor muscles and vulvodynia
- Complete an initial assessment of a client with female sexual pain and plan a follow-up treatment – sample assessment and screening forms in the manual
- Identify and implement treatments appropriate for the management of female sexual pain.
- Basic understanding of female pelvic anatomy and pain concepts.
- Previous experience with conducting an internal vaginal examination.
- This course is only available to qualified and AHPRA registered physiotherapists.