Foot and ankle in sport and dance
Foot and ankle injuries are common in athletes and dancers. Yet physiotherapists often state that they don't feel confident treating the foot and often refer onto podiatrists for management.
This course has a strong focus on hands on skills and exercise prescription, giving you tools that can be applied to athletes and general population with foot and ankle pain. Improve your knowledge, skills and confidence in the assessment and treatment of common injuries to the athletic ankle and foot.
Including a review of the anatomy of the foot and ankle, by the end of the course participants should be able to:
- describe clinical presentation of foot and ankle injuries and discuss when medical referral/imaging would be appropriate
- describe contributing factors to foot and ankle injuries, such as shoe fit faults in sport and ballet
- outline treatment and rehabilitation principles for the foot and ankle
- describe, demonstrate and practice assessment of the foot and ankle, including sports and dance specific testing
- describe, demonstrate and practice soft tissue techniques, joint mobilisation and taping techniques for the foot and ankle
- describe, demonstrate and practice exercises to support the foot and ankle, applicable to the general, sporting and dance populations.
This course is taught by an internationally renowned expert in the field, who has worked with professional dancers for over 25 years and has consulted for AFL, Cricket Australia, & Victorian Institute of Sport.
- Diagnose foot and ankle complaints in sport and dance
- Identify when onward referral is required
- Identify contributing factors to ankle and foot injury, such as errors in sporting and ballet shoe fit
- Demonstrate an appropriate clinical assessment of a patient with a foot or ankle complaint
- Demonstrate appropriate manual treatment for foot and ankle complaints including soft tissues release and joint mobilisation
- Demonstrate appropriate taping techniques for the foot and ankle
- Demonstrate appropriate exercise prescription for foot and ankle complaints
- This course is only available to qualified and AHPRA registered physiotherapists.