Physiotherapist honoured in Australia Day award
We would like to congratulate Dr Peter Selvaratnam, APAM, FACP, on receiving an Order of Australia award for his significant service to physiotherapy, and to professional development. Peter has contributed greatly to our profession and helped advance physiotherapy in Australia. His recognition in this year’s Australia Day Honours list is well deserved.
Dr Peter Selvaratnam
Member of the Order of Australia
For significant service to physiotherapy, and to professional development.
- Principal Director, Melbourne Spinal and Sports Medicine Clinic and Headache Centre Victoria, since 1985.
- Fellow, Australian College of Physiotherapists.
- Volunteer, Healthcare Fellowship (visit to Vanuatu), 2010, 2011.
- Founder, Backtolife, since 2006.
- Member, Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Australia (MPA), current.
- Member, Australia/New Zealand Academy of Orofacial Pain (ANZAOP), current.
Australian Physiotherapy Association (APA)
- Established, and instructor, Level 1 Dry Needling Program, since 2004.
- Examiner, Australian College of Physiotherapists, current.
- Honorary Doctor of Medical Anatomy and Specialist Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist, 2007.
- Member, Sports Physiotherapy Australia (SPA), current.
- Member, since 1986.
Acupuncture and Dry Needling Group (part of the APA)
- Former Victorian Representative, 2008-2009.
- Chairperson, Victorian Branch, 2007.
- Clinical Associate Professor, University of Melbourne, 2006-2012.
- Adjunct Association Professor, 2003-2012 and Senior Adjunct Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine, Monash University, 1989-2002.
- Visiting Lecturer, Latrobe University, current.
- Consultant Physiotherapist, Sri Lankan Cricket Team, 1983-2001.
- Consultant Physiotherapist, Melbourne Football Club, Australian Football League, 1989-1998.
- Consultant Physiotherapist, Summer and Winter Olympic teams, 1989.
- Consultant Physiotherapist, World Cup Hockey teams, 1982.
- Volunteer, Jesuran Wellness Centre, since 2012.
- Co-Author, Healing of the hurting and helping the wounded, 2019.
- Co-editor and Author, Headache, Orofacial Pain and Bruxism; Multidisciplinary Approach to Diagnosis and Management, 2009.