The complete and advanced upper cervical spine and head
Advanced differential diagnosis and management of complex upper cervical spine and head disorders
Covering advanced differential diagnosis, assessment and management of complex upper cervical spine and head disorders, this course builds on basic concepts and is designed to advance clinical reasoning and competency in the assessment and management of complex upper cervical spine and head disorders.
Presented by specialist musculoskeletal physiotherapists with extensive university and post-graduate education experience in upper cervical spine and head disorders.
Participants can expect to:
• Advance their skills, differential diagnosis and sub-classification of complex upper cervical spine and head disorders including headache (migraine, cluster, TTH, CEH, post traumatic headache, TMD, MTBI), dizziness (vestibular, cervicogenic and ophthalmologic and neurological causes), whiplash and pain classification.
• Advance their skills and competence in the assessment of complex upper cervical spine and head disorders. Focus on the upper cervical spine disorders will include advanced assessment of articular, motor, sensorimotor, neurological, and pain sensitivity impairments. Focus on head disorders will include sessions on advanced assessment of vestibular courses for dizziness, advanced assessment of temporomandibular disorders and assessment of cortical body (neck) schema and changes in the brain.
• Improve skills and competence in appropriate application of a broader range of interventions to manage complex upper cervical spine disorders including highly targeted and specific manual therapy and neck specific exercise. The course covers management of selected and associated head disorders including TMD and vestibular rehabilitation, graded motor imagery, management of pain sensitivity and management of complex WAD with psychological and brain related co-morbidities (eg concussion).
Complex cases are used to integrate clinical reasoning to determine diagnosis, sub-classification, contributing impairments and comprehensive, targeted management for complex upper cervical spine and head disorders.
Please note: By registering for this course you consent to your email address being provided to Dr Trudy Rebbeck for the purpose of seeking your participation in her physiotherapy research projects at Sydney University. If you do not consent to your email address being shared, please contact the APA on 03 9092 0819
- Improve knowledge and understanding of how to screen for red flags, CAD and neurological conditions in the upper cervical spine
- Improve knowledge and understanding in differential diagnosis of headache.
- Improve knowledge and understanding in differential diagnosis of dizziness, including screening for CAD & vestibular dizziness
- Advance skills in a broader range of manual therapy techniques to manage patients with upper cervical spine disorders
- Improve skills in the assessment and management of the axio-scapula, cervical flexor (anterior) and cervical extension (posterior) muscle groups
- Improve knowledge and understanding of WAD
- Improve understanding of how to assess for pain sensitivity in the clinic
- Improve skills in the assessment and management of dizziness in cervicogenic conditions
- Improve skills in the assessment and management of dizziness in vestibular conditions
- Improve knowledge and understanding of TMD
- Improve understanding of how to put this together in the management of complex upper cervical spine disorders