Optimising rehab and muscle function for cycling (Day 1 and 2 combined)
This two day course is made up of
Day 1: Optimising biomechanics of cycling and;
Day 2: Optimising rehab and muscle function in cycling
Day 1: Optimising biomechanics of cycling
A large body of research indicates that bike set up and peddling techniques can both significantly improve cycling performance and minimise the risk of repetitive strain injuries. It is important with any adjustments made to bike geometry can be accommodated within the rider's musculoskeletal abilities. This workshop is designed to educate participants on the ideal bike set up geometry and how to adjust this geometry to the individual needs of the rider. A comprehensive cycling specific screening to identify problem regions will be outlined. Such a screening can be used to determine if the cyclist would benefit from biomechanical or muscle control treatment to optimise rider-bike dynamic function.
Day 2: Optimising rehab for muscle function for cycling.
An intensively clinical day discussing all aspects of rehabilitation of the cyclist including:
• Rotating workshops addressing key aspects of cycling rehab and pedalling technique for practical application within the clinic.
• Case Studies with clinical reasoning behind Cyclist rehabilitation programs and practical application, subjective presentation and rehab exercise intervention
• Progressed and graded muscle retraining program to optimise cycling performance
• Motor control drills for optimising pedal action will also be discussed
• Key bike adjustments, interventions, rehab exercise strategies
• Discussion of variety of bike styles and set ups and alternative equipment
• Discussion on what equipment is needed for Bike set up in the clinical setting
• Discussion of the business of Bike set up in the clinic: Technology APPS and their efficient use
- Understanding the geometry of optimal bike set up and research background
- Bike measurements and adjustments required for optimal cycling performance
- Pedalling techniques drills to optimise cycling muscle recruitment
- Practical session on measurement and adjustment of bike set up
- Example of Videography of a cycling client
- Cycle specific musculoskeletal screening; Working out which areas to address first to maximise cycling and running function
- Practical session on designing a functional and progress stability program to optimise cycling performance
- Key musculoskeletal treatment techniques to minimise injury and maximise performance in the cyclists
- Intensively clinical day discussing all aspects of cycling rehab
- Key bike adjustments, intervention on motor retraining for pedal action
- Rehab exercise strategies to optimise cycling performance
- Clinical reason case studies of cyclist rehab program and application
- Discussion of variety of bike styles, set ups & alternative equipment
- This course is available to qualified and AHPRA registered physiotherapists, chiropractors, osteopaths and occupational therapists..
- It is also available to qualified exercise physiologists and other professions registered with ESSA with the appropriate skills, knowledge and insurance to participate in a practical course.