Working in Australia

Working in Australia

The following information is for physiotherapists from overseas wanting to gain employment in Australia. If you're looking for job vacancies, why not check out jobs4physios—the APA's dedicated career platform where you can search for jobs in every state and territory.

Get your skills recognised

Assessment of overseas qualified physiotherapists is undertaken by the Australian Physiotherapy Council. Please visit their website for further information. 

Register with the Physiotherapy Board of Australia

The functions of the Physiotherapy Board of Australia include: 

  • registering physiotherapists and students 
  • developing standards, codes and guidelines for the physiotherapy profession 
  • handling notifications, complaints, investigations and disciplinary hearings 
  • assessing overseas trained practitioners who wish to practice in Australia 
  • approving accreditation standards and accredited courses of study. 

For more information on registration please refer to the Board's website

You must register with the Physiotherapy Board of Australia before practising as a physiotherapist in Australia.


To practice in Australia you must be covered by Professional Indemnity Insurance. It is highly recommended that indemnity insurance be obtained before commencing employment. Proof of Board Registration is required before insurance will be granted. 

Obtaining a working visa

The Department of Immigration can assist you with your applications for a working visa permit to work in Australia. 

Finding employment

You can find the latest physiotherapy jobs advertised in Australia on jobs4physios