Musculoskeletal physiotherapists have a pioneering spirit that translates into a commitment to do the very best for patients. The Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy group is active in professional debates, highly visible within the profession, and committed to advancing its members’ knowledge and skills.
The face-to-face professional development program is extensive and includes courses organised with other groups. There is also a full lecture program each year focusing on topical issues and latest research.
Members of the group receive regular emails, which include news, relevant research articles, literature reviews, reviews of professional development and updates on committee activities around the country.
Member benefits include:
- regular e-Updates, including up-to-date information on relevant physiotherapy issues and events
- discount on PD courses and events organised by the Musculoskeletal group
- free attendance at lectures organised by the Musculoskeletal group
- opportunity to be involved in committees in your state or at a national level, including the biannual conference scientific committee
- subscription to InTouch, the official magazine of the Musculoskeletal National Group. It includes features on musculoskeletal clinical advances and research, case studies, profiles and reports on local and international clinical events (small charge applied to receive 4 issues per annum)
- progression to titling and specialisation in the field of musculoskeletal physiotherapy
- access to the Facebook group
- APA national groups align with the speciality interest subgroups within the WCPT. Further information can be found here.
About the group
The Musculoskeletal group is the oldest APA national group and one of the largest, established in 1966 as the Manipulative Therapists’ Association of Australia.
The Musculoskeletal group strives for clinical excellence in musculoskeletal practice. Originally this focused on the finesse of manual therapies, and in recent years the group has evolved to reflect the changing landscape of musculoskeletal practice. Pain physiology, neuro-motor control of movement, human behavioural science and social sciences are all part of the discussions between members.
There are many opportunities for emerging leaders in the field to take up positions in committees at a state and national level.
Every two years, the APA conference scientific committee works to produce a high quality program for each area of physiotherapy, including musculoskeletal, giving you another opportunity to influence this area of the profession.