Neurological conditions are among the most challenging conditions for physiotherapists to treat. However, with challenge comes reward. There are many exciting developments and research breakthroughs happening in this field, especially with advances in technology. Joining the Neurology group is a fantastic way to stay in the loop.
Members of the group receive regular emails, which include relevant research articles, reviews of professional development, industry news and updates on committee activities around the country.
Member benefits include:
- regular e-Updates, including up-to-date information on relevant physiotherapy issues and events
- discounted PD courses and events organised by the Neurological group
- free attendance at lectures organised by the Neurological group
- opportunity to be involved in committees in your state or at a national level, including the biannual conference scientific committee.
- progression to titling and specialisation in the field of neurological physiotherapy
- access to the Facebook group
- APA national groups align with the speciality interest subgroups within the WCPT. Further information can be found here.
About the group
The Neurology group includes a network of five state-based committees who convene regular professional development lectures and courses. By attending, you’ll learn skills in movement analysis and assessment of underlying impairments. Topics covered include:
- traumatic brain injury
- Pilates for neurological clients
- spinal cord injury
- peripheral nerve lesions
- Parkinson’s disease
- multiple sclerosis.
The group has developed levelled courses that allow you to progress along the titling and specialisation pathway. We occasionally hold joint courses with other national groups to give you access to a breadth of clinical topics and skills. There is also an extensive online learning offer.
The group organises national and international opportunities for members to network with experienced clinicians, academics and researchers. As an example, in 2016 we hosted an International Master Class featuring Geert Verheyden of Belgium.
There are also numerous opportunities to be involved in shaping the future of this group. You can volunteer for committee positions in your state or at a national level, or contribute your ideas for professional development and other activities.
Every two years, the APA conference scientific committee works to produce a high quality program for each area of physiotherapy, including neurology, giving you another opportunity to influence this area of the profession.